Dr. A. Hoyt Taylor, Father of Naval Radar
Dr. A. Hoyt Taylor, the father of Naval radar, was in charge of the Marconi Belmar station during WWI. The Navy had taken over the station under the authority of the radio Act of 1912. In 1922, just a few years after leaving Wall Township, Dr. Taylor would began his quest for radar. When WWII ended on August 15, 1945 the Daily News would list Dr. Taylor amoung the "Scientific Pioneers" responsible for radar, in an article with a photo from Camp Evans and a photo of Dr. Taylor at the Naval Research Laboratory.
This information gives us primary source evidence that Camp Evans, the Marconi Belmar station, was a significant communications control point and research site during the United States involvement in WWI. It was part of the Belmar-New Brunswick link to Europe. A site of early electronic countermeasures and suspected enemy message collection for decoding. The site hosted significant persons during this period who contributed to the advance of radio technology. The site also dispatched some of the most important diplomatic radiograms for President Wilson during the war.
Thanks to Linda Norton of the Naval Research Laboratory Library for providing a copy of Dr. Taylor's out-of-print book.
To learn more about Dr. Taylor read the chapter on Dr. Taylor from RADIO'S 100 MEN OF SCIENCE by Orrin E. Dunlap
From: RADIO REMINISCENCES: A HALF CENTURY by A. Hoyt Taylor
Published by U.S. Naval Research Laboratory, Washington. D.C. First Edition 1948, reprint 1960, Pages 50 - 60